Thursday, September 25, 2014
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Announcing the 2014 H Street Festival
The 2014 H Street Festival will take place on Saturday, September 20, 2014. This will be the biggest Festival ever, spanning 10 blocks of H Street NE and featuring over 200 businesses, restaurants, community organizations and merchants. Come down and enjoy great food, drinks, music, contests, kids’ activities and more!
The annual celebration highlights the development of the H Street NE Corridor and it’s vibrant businesses. The event is one of the District’s most popular festivals, and has been named Washington, DC’s best neighborhood festival by Washington City Paper for the last four years. In a city that boasts so many wonderful neighborhoods, the H Street NE Corridor has become one of the most diverse and exciting neighborhoods to live in, shop, eat and hang out.
This year’s Festival will offer more entertainment than ever before, featuring more than 500 performers and artists on 14 staging areas spread throughout the event. Performances will range from jazz, pop and gospel music to fitness demonstrations, a “skills on wheels” performance and interactive art displays.
For those who come hungry or thirsty, the Festival will feature over 70 food vendors, food trucks and restaurants serving up meals from all corners of the world. Festivalgoers can also visit the beverage gardens located along the festival route to sample the many available libations.
Other attractions at this year’s Festival, include:
- Washington Nationals Presidents – The Presidents will race down part of the Festival route from the 8th Street Stage (8 and H) following the singing of the national anthem at noon. The Presidents will also be available for pictures with festivalgoers at 3 p.m. at the Zone 9 parking lot (9 and H).
- DC Streetcar Open House - Visitors will be able to get an up close look at the exterior and interior of the DC Streetcars, which are set to begin running later this year (5 and H, 8 and H and 13 and H).
- Grand Opening of Gallery on O – The H Street Festival will celebrate the grand opening to the public of the Gallery on O, showcasing the 50th anniversary of Washington Informer photography (13 and H).
- Kids Zone – The Festival will have a special “kid’s zone,” featuring GolfZilla, a Godzilla-themed inflatable target that kids can hit golf balls at, multiple appearances by Callaloo the puppet, face painting, a giant slide and other family-friendly activities (9 and H).
- Interactive Art Displays – Festivalgoers will be able to get an up close look at a number of art cars (13 and H), as well as watch artists paint an H Street-themed bus from start to finish and build custom bikes from scratch (5 and H).
- Contests and Competitions – Attendees are invited to compete in or watch the annual pie, chili and burrito eating contests, a bad tattoo competition (10 and H) and an arm wrestling competition (9 and H).
- District Fashion Week – The Fashion Stage will kick off the annual District Fashion Week celebration with area designers (10 and H).
- Pedicabs – Pedicabs will offer weary festivalgoers transportation at a special festival rate parallel to the festival route on G and I Streets.
- And much more!Sponsors of the event include, Auto Zone, DC50-TV, Fisher Brothers, Giant, H Street Community Development Corporation, H Street Connection, Insight Property Group, Property Group Partners, Stewart Investment, Uber, Walmart and Washington City Paper.
Festival hours are from noon – 7 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014. The Festival will take place between the 400 and 1300 blocks of H Street NE.
Friday, September 12, 2014
MOTH FAMILY FEST ANNOUNCED FOR SEPTEMBER 14TH
Annual community event includes face painters, live music, and raffle
The Moms On The Hill (MOTH) Family Fest will be held Sunday, September 14th, in Garfield Park at 3rd & G Streets SE, from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Hill families are invited to join in this annual celebration and enjoy food, games, and other child-friendly activities. Entertainment will include moonbounces, balloon animals, face painting, Turley the Magician, a performance from Tippi Toes, and live music from Mr. Skip, Meadowlark, and Most Wanted. Additional activities for families will be provided by Little Loft, fibre space, Relay Foods, Labyrinth Game Shop, the National Postal Museum, Breathing Space Yoga, and Vida Fitness. A limited supply of food will be provided by local vendors; families are welcome to bring picnics.
The event will also feature a raffle with prizes donated by local businesses, including Metro Mutts, Hill Rag, and Boogie Babes. T-shirts in adult and child sizes will also be for sale. A portion of all event proceeds will go towards the purchase of uniforms for DCPS students through the Homeless Children's Playtime Project.
MOTH Family Fest will take place rain or shine. Admission is free. Additional information can be found at www.mothfamilyfest.blogspot.
com and https://www.facebook.com/ events/307475592748636/.
MOTH is a virtual and real-world community for parents living in the Capitol Hill. To join, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address, Hill address, and parent or parent-to-be status.
MOTH FAMILY FEST SPONSORS
LUNA MOTH ($3,000+)
CSX * www.csx.com
GYPSY MoTH ($1,000+)
Au Pair in America * www.aupairinamerica.com *
Lee Murphy, Washington Fine Properties * www.leemurphy.net *
Meg Shapiro & George Olson RE/MAX Allegiance * megandgeorge.com *
National Capital Bank * www.nationalcapitalbank.com *
MOTH ($500 - $999)
AtlasVet * www.atlasvetdc.com *
COVE * www.cove.is *
fibre space * www.fibrespace.com *
John C. Formant Real Estate * www.johncformant.com *
Polar Bear Air Conditioning * http://www.
Traditions Contracting * www.traditionscontracting.com *
South Capitol Smile * www.SouthCapitolSmileCenter.
CATERPILLAR ($250 - $499)
Grubb's CARE Pharmacy * www.grubbscare.com *
H&Pizza * andpizza.com *
Dr. Tawann Jackson, DDS *
Judi Seiden, GRI, Associate Broker * www.judiseiden.com *
Johnson Law Group * www.johnsonlawgroupintl.com *
FRIEND of MoTH ($100 - $249)
Capitol Hill Yoga * www.capitolhillyoga.com *
Schneider’s of Capitol Hill * cellar.com *
Union Veterinary Clinic * unionvetclinic.com *
Posted by H Street Great Street at 9:00 AM