OPEN HOUSE ROUND-UP 3/25/17
6 hours ago
2013-14 Season Performances
The Atlas is proud to present a spectacular 2013·14 season of contemporary programming in music, theatre, dance and performance arts.
Contemporary. Provocative. Engaging.
What the critics are saying about the Atlas...
• "Washington's go-to venue for those interested in the burgeoning "alt-classical" scene."
-Anne Midgette of The Washington Post
• "...a spacious and hospitable theater that has been putting on excellent jazz."
Season features over 80 presentations:
• Cellist Nicholas Photinos, founding member of eighth blackbird, with his trio and soprano Lindsay Kesselman and pianist Yasuko Oura (September 22).
• Contemporary music giants eighth blackbird presents a new theatrical work, Columbine's Paradise Theatre, a dark musical fairytale of love and death, dream and delusion (November 15 and 16).
• Composer David Little's Solider Songs combines elements of theater, opera, and rock-infused concert music exploring the perceptions versus the realities of the soldier. Features Little's ensemble Newspeak (May 13-18, 2014).
For the full New Music Series listing go here.
• Described as "one of the transforming figures of early 21st century jazz," by The Guardian (UK), Steve Lehman is a composer, and performer who works across a broad spectrum of experimental musical idioms (November 13).
• Matt Wilson's Christmas Tree-0 in a rousing holiday performance. (December 19).
• Leading jazz singer and five-time Grammy Award nominated Nnenna Freelon has performed with Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin and Diana Krall (May 8, 2014).
For the full Jazz Series listing go here.
• Considered an expert in the musical tradition of maloya from the Reunion Island, chanteuse Christine Salem sings in Creole, Malagasy, Comoran or Swahili (October 3).
• Leading contemporary Native American vocalist Martha Redbone elevates traditional roots music blending Appalachian folk, Piedmont blues and gospel (April 25, 2014).
• Dublin band I Draw Slow creates a new sound drawing on Irish traditional music and modern Americana (May 3, 2014).
For the full World Music Series listings go here.
• Much-celebrated South African choreographer and performer Gregory Maqoma performs his latest project Exit IExist (October 18-20).
• Jonah Bokaer, an award-winning choreographer and media artist presents Occupant originally commissioned by the Arsht Center in Miami (November 9-10.)
• Camille Brown in Mr. TOL E. RAncE, a piece inspired by Spike Lee's movie Bamboozeled celebrates the humor and perseverance of the black performer and examines stereotypical roles dominating current popular black culture (April 3-6, 2014).
Theatre for the Very Young
A delightful series for children ages 1-5, showcasing six productions this season by Arts on the Horizon and Imagination Stage.
For the full Theatre for the Very Young series go here.
Liner Notes from Paige Hernandez and B-Fly Entertainment, SOLE Defined from Quynn Johnson and Ryan Johnson and Step Afrika!’s enthusiastic and popular Magical Holiday Step Show.
For the full listing of Special Presentations go here.
Fifth annual INTERSECTIONS Festival
Over 125 multidisciplinary and collaborative performances from some of the best established and emerging artists from Washington, DC and beyond (February 21 -March 8, 2014.)